Do you enjoy high school sports and writing about sports activities and events? The International Falls Journal, northern Minnesota’s premier twice-weekly newspaper, has an opening for a Sports Reporter.
Jobs to be done include:
- Provide comprehensive coverage of area high school sports teams and sports-related stories/events. The successful candidate will write game reports, feature stories and columns for our print editions, take photos and post stories, videos and digital content on the Journal’s website.
- Develop strong relationships with coaches, athletes, sports fans and community supporters.
- Must be able to works nights and weekends to accommodate game/match schedules.
- Work collaboratively with members of creative team on layout of newspaper sports pages.
Job requirements are:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in experience.
- Exceptional spelling skills and attention to detail (particularly with names, dates, scores).
- Must be creative and organized, with a love for the written word, have a broad range of sports interests, and be a great story-teller.
- Solid knowledge of newspapers, journalism and need for immediacy in digital postings.
- Ability to take great action photos and shoot video in challenging weather/lighting conditions.
- Good verbal and interviewing skills. Should be able to express ideas clearly, work with many different personality types and communicate with others in a sensitive and encouraging manner.
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative, deadline-oriented environment.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Embrace our organization’s core values: Collaboration, Community, Integrity, Passion & Perseverance.
- This is a full-time position.
- Benefits include: 401k match, health insurance contribution, dental and and disability insurance, life insurance, PTO, paid holidays.
- All candidates who are being considered for hire by our organization must pass a background check.
The International Falls Journal is an affiliate of North Star Publishing and Big Fish Works.Our office is located at 1602 Highway 71, International Falls, MN.
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: Bachelor’s degree
Required license or certification: Driver’s License and have the ability to be insured to drive at all times.